Spinning Your Gold Blog: Words that Open Hearts and Inspire Actions
“Let a seasonally sanctioned sojourn of
refill the authentic reservoir of creative energy.”~Sarah Ban Breathnach
Thank you, July. Hello, August! With daily temps still soaring to triple-digit numbers, rigorous outdoor activities are nearly impossible! Any form of exertion –outside or inside– poses serious health and emotional challenges. Summer wilts and wears down even the once, freshest spring spirit.
So what’s a body and creative soul to do?
Breathnach suggests her answer above. And for this eighth month, my answer comes as
8 Slow Joy Offerings for August:
1. Relinquish half of what’s on your daily To Do List. Add more to your To Be List.
You will feel an expanded peace of mind!
2. Declutter one drawer. Maybe it’s the junk drawer. Don’t tackle a closet, room, the entire house or the office! Set the timer for just 18 minutes. You will relish Divine Order!
3. Enjoy a happy childhood again or for the first time. Pause to reread your favorite childhood books. You might include rereading the books you read to your children or grands. Settle on the floor in the children’s section of a library you’ve never visited. Then, pretend you’re all ungrown up! Snuggling in a bean bag with a book does a soul good.
You will cherish old memories while creating new ones!
4. Check out literary organizations or Meetups for writing classes and book clubs. Be sure to also ask local bookstores and libraries for suggestions. A favorite and dyamic source is Keep St. Pete Lit in my hometown!
Many places offer free gatherings. And some, like my monthly Women’s Divine Dialogue Writing Circle in Tampa Bay, charge a nominal investment. (You might also like my newest class, New Moon Writing and Ritual: The Art of Intention.) Can’t find a Meetup you like? Start your own like I did 13 years ago!
While the virtual world is exciting, it can also be an isolating experience –especially if you’re a solopreneur like me. There’s simply no substitute for face-to-face smiles, hugs, and hearing the word spoken out loud. You will enjoy the creative connections!
5. Schedule your V.I.M.D –Very Important Me Date—to luxuriate by reading your stack of magazines or bedside books.
Find shaded hammock space so you won’t be interrupted or distracted. Take a moonlight or nature stroll.
You will celebrate your self-worth through self-care!
6. Go gently down the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily. Consider a nighttime kayak or canoe trip–maybe one in Florida or Costa Rica where you can experience a natural phenomenon of glowing blue waters alive with an activity called bioluminescence.You will delight in discovering new worlds!
7. Explore thrift stores for gently used books. My favorites for three decades are the Salvation Army Family Store & Donation Center and the Goodwill Outlet—also called the Goodwill Buy by the Pound Outlet. You will discover new authors and inspiration for pennies!
8. Gift to places seeking gently used books. On this same trip, donate unread or untouched books in a year to a thrift store, church/school library or a woman’s shelter. If you live in Tampa Bay like me, two other local places seek your books including BookSpace of Keep St. Pete Lit and the Deuces Free Little Library. Your giving transforms stagnant energy into slow, flowing energy. You will enjoy seeing open space on your shelves!
Other than the nighttime kayak trip for about $40 and exploring thrift stores to buy books for pennies, all other slow joy offerings are free.
How fun and fabulous is that?
Now that you’ve read this list, what slow joy offerings for August inspired you to take action? Please share in the comments.
P.S. If you live in Tampa Bay, your special invitations await you to my monthly writing and creativity classes and Day Trips! Visit my Author Amazon Author Page for details and how to register; gratefully, classes and trips are often sold out weeks in advance!